DSC09753 - Copy

2 July 2008

Really tough decisions to make after a foxy visitor

That FLIPPING fox GOT INTO THE HENHOUSE this afternoon!!! :O I have no idea what to do next. The fox has gone, the henhouse is secure as we can make it (we've put bricks on top of the roof section the fox lifted up) and the chickens are roosting - seperately because Gloria had some feathers pulled out.

She seems OK but traumatised, there is some blood but I don't think she's seriously hurt. She was walking fine (and doing some flapping) but was really quiet when I took her and shut her in the seperate area, earlier she was all feisty and noisy when I picked her up because she's so scared of me! At least Annabelle was fine...

I don't know if we can keep chickens any more though, the garden is rambling and the boundries are totally insecure. The henhouse is OK but a bit flimsy and we can't afford to do anything to make it better. Basically this fox (in full daylight) had no fear of us at all and only ran off a little way when we shouted and threw stuff. I don't think it's going to let up until it gets in somehow and kills both birds. Not to mention that having a fox like that around makes me worry about the kids playing out safely! Morgan was outside on her own only an hour before the attack.

Emma and Chris can take both of them, but Gloria will have to be seperate for a while because she's injured. I don't want her to be bullied to death by Annabelle, and Gloria *is* the smaller one. If Emma has them she can't keep Gloria seperate so either the poorly bird will have to stay here alone until healed up or she'll have to be necked (that is if her injuries don't mean she's necked in the morning anyway, I'm hoping to be able to tell tomorrow if she's actually hurt or just missing some feathers). But keeping either of them here seems cruel too as this fox WILL come back.

Oh I don't know what to do. I'm so upset!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts? :)