DSC09753 - Copy

16 July 2008

Morgan and the Other Side

So I'm having a bit of a trying time with nursing Morgan right now - or more accurately on and off for the past few weeks. Disclaimer: I'm really glad to still be nursing her, it is non-optional on my list of things I want for my toddler and although I'm not someone who really enjoys breastfeeding (nice lovey hormonal feelings sometimes, but normally, nah) I don't actually want to wean her.

I just don't have the first idea how to have basic boundaries with someone as persistant as this child!! By this age Jenna was practically weaning herself, and although I'm happy that Morgan is still feeding a couple of times a day, sometimes it isn't just a couple of times a day. She's driving me crazy; I sit down, and here she is, wanting to nurse, trying to help herself, and best of all, refusing the side I offer in favour of "EEE unk" (the OTHER milk). Why??

Then a couple of days ago I found this comic in Hathor's archives, and smiled.



Toddler nursing is wonderful, funny, frustrating, crazy, unpredictable, touching, important, fabulous, connecting, grounding, and sometimes really irritating. Anyone want to tell me how to persuade her to take the side she's given and not want to camp out the second I give my attention to the computer?

Off to help the girls sort out their dispute, before Morgan thumps Jenna (who is trying to put a pair of pants on her against her wishes).

2 comments:

  1. He he, no advice I'm afraid, being a man who currently has no children outside the womb (!) but I love the cartoon!

    The Broken Man

    http://theblogofabrokenman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, this rings bells - my son thinks that me sitting down anywhere any time is an invitation to feed and he also has very definite ideas about which side he has. Today, he started on one side, and switched back and forth about 4 times. I asked him why and he said 'because I want to!'. can't argue with that really.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts? :)