Yes, that topic again. We are all so HORRIBLE just after lunch. The children are tired and whiney. I am tired and grumpy. But I can't get my head around what to do about it!!
This is what I've tried:
- Having lunch early, playing outside and then coming in for a snack before nap.
- Having wind-down time with a story followed by nap.
- Having outdoor time THEN wind-down time followed by nap.
- Drinking chamomile tea with honey.
- Napping in a darkened room.
- Not insisting they lie down or stay quiet as long as they stay on their mats.
- Napping upstairs in separate rooms.
- Lying on a mat WITH them and closing MY eyes (this resulted in me falling asleep first and them trashing the house).
- Napping as soon as we've had lunch, using most of the above tactics.
They are SO TIRED. They are so tired that today, Morgan fell asleep on the toilet and fell off it. She's unhurt. But perked right back up into run-around-and-whine mode. They are so tired that they cry every time anything happens (like the cat going outside, or the baby going to sleep, or me getting them the wrong drink). I am so tired I feel on the verge of throwing a massive tantrum myself!
Totally out of ideas. It seems like the choice is to give up on the idea of a nap and just put up with everyone being out of sorts all afternoon, or the naptime fiasco frustration that comes from trying to fix it. *sigh*
So tired I forgot to add to the list of things we've tried:
- Lavender oil in a burner.
- Doing yoga just before naptime.
- *Whispering* to lie back down any time they get up.
- Adding rescue remedy to their chamomile tea.
- Warm milk *instead* of their chamomile tea.
- Yelling at everyone until they lie down and pretend they are asleep.
That last one is probably my least successful afternoon... Um, today...