DSC09753 - Copy

3 September 2012

Not Back to School

DSC08197
When did it happen that these children got so grown up?  I took this photograph for them today to mark another school year, more or less irrelevant for us but in other ways still significant - that universal desire that they not miss out on the healthy and helpful along with that which we chose to avoid.

No uniforms here.  Those are for playing Hogwarts in, and today for once there has been very little mention of Harry Potter!  What did we do?  Today was so similar to the last couple of days, mostly at home, mostly pursuing interests separately and together.

We went to story time at the library and Jenna came back with almost more medical texts and foraging reference books than I could carry.  They didn't work on their life-size human body today but they did pore through the books, commenting on cell diagrams and circulation, on digestion and how babies grow.  Jenna wanted the herbals and wild food guides because she wants to make her own Herbology book.  (That was the "very little" mention of Harry Potter in our day!)

A Lush newspaper came through our door.  The girls always take it in turns to read this, making lists of all their favourite things, and what they would buy if they could.  Today they cut the paper up, making collages of the things they like.  I wasn't done with it yet.  Hmph.
DSC08198
They played Avatar, trying to master Earthbending (well, you know, martial arts moves and lots of stamping) and then running around in the garden with swords.  While they were rampaging in the garden I did some batik.  Mum came by and took Jenna for a walk in the woods.  The others came in to poke at the silk while I was finishing up, and crowded me at the sink so they could see how it looked when finished.
DSC08203
We are full of ideas and plans and projects at this time of year.  I am definitely starting to feel better when I think of the cool autumn days coming on bringing the celebrations of harvest and fullness.  :)

(I am aware that this makes two day-in-the-life type posts this week, but the first time it was on my mind and the second it was on the childrens'!)

12 comments:

  1. what a lot of lovely learning and so pleased to hear you are feeling lighter with the world. Lush is a wonderful shop isn't it. Brendan bee lines for it when we are out and the lovely staff always entertain him with fizzing bathbombs in bowls.... but that just makes me feel like i should buy more than i had hoped to get away with lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since Rowan started walking, Lush has been a dangerous place for us! As soon as one child is released, they are getting up to all sorts of monkey business. For a while, we could only go in if I had a complete change of clothes for Rowan, because the staff would lift the bowl down to the floor and she would all but climb into it!! They are so nice about it, but it stresses me out. I have to take them in one at a time right now haha.

      Delete
  2. My boys are very into harry potter at the moment. We bought them some team gb ponchos from sainsburys and they pretend they are quidditch robes. They race round the garden riding one of Simon's juggling clubs each and looking for the snitch (bouncy ball) in the grass.

    Love Sophie (littlewoman on ivillage)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our schools went back at the start of August, but Oscar doesn't have a nursery spot, so we are having an extended summer lol. I keep thinking about that quote on another blog which was 'just because my children leave home and go to school every day, doesn't mean they aren't home schooled'. Depending on the home, that's so true. I haven't done batik since I was at art school, I was always scared of the wax boiler lol. Lovely.
    Val
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That phrase is a pet hate. ;) It's not the same - and it's usually a simplistic response to the perceived criticism of schooling families as uninvolved, which isn't an accusation I've ever made!

      (Sorry! I do understand that it could also be intended to say that a whole-life-learning attitude is admirable and desirable - and even universal to involved parents. However it too often gets used the other way!)

      Batik: I don't use hot wax, I use PVA glue. :) It rinses out of fabric, but you have to set the dye with heat first. xx

      Delete
    2. I have talked about home schooling with a few people (family mostly) and it has been met with blank stares or outright disapproval, (as in, 'when Oscar goes to school, 'if' Oscar goes to school'). My eldest child did not suit school but I was not in a position to home school. I can honestly say she was SERIOUSLY let down by the educational system. (Example - they gave her a calculator in P5, which is age 8-9 years here, because arithmetic was proving hard and they didn't have time to help one child intensely). I felt it was too soon to 'give up' but she cried for a calculator at home because school kept giving her one, or letting her opt out, because it was too hard. I could list dozens of examples but what I wanted to say was that I am personally pro- home school and although I dont feel able to provide 100% home school for Oscar, I have learnt from bitter experience that I cant rely completely on state schooling for his education. I intend to take a much firmer stance on things this time, which I feel is a pity to be thinking that when he is only 3 1/2.
      Val
      xxx
      ps I might have a go with PVA, Oscar loves dying things, I feel a Christmas pressie project coming on lol

      Delete
    3. They are blessed to have you, mama.

      (Good luck with the batik! Enjoy.)

      Delete
  4. Children grow so quickly, blink and you will miss it.Even the harder stages pass.Your guys are getting so big now:)But they will always be your babies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh never thought of using pva. Ooh will have to give it a go. How do you heat seal the dyes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sealed plastic bag on a dye-safe (non food) plate in the microwave - or a sealed bag in the dye-safe steamer. :) Make sure there isn't way too much dye, or the glue dissolves. Then you can wash the excess dye and the glue right out. :)

      Delete

Penny for your thoughts? :)