DSC09753 - Copy

20 September 2012

Baby pictures for Jenna

Jenna has her first plastic doll.  He is totally and utterly real to her, instantly loved and imbued with that special magic as a toy takes on its own character.
DSC08549

She keeps absently kissing the top of his head as she carries him around.  He gets worn in a sling all day, and rocked and sung to.
DSC08550

I remember people beginning to tell me at a similar age that I was "too old for dolls".  If anyone says that to Jenna I would probably be rather rude.  My doll slept beside my pillow until I was at least 12...

I was a little sceptical about buying her a plastic doll after all these years, even one she so clearly wanted and liked, as she has two mama-made Waldorf dolls that are truly old friends and loved ragged.  Well, now Lily and Rachel are big sisters, and have had to make room in the bed for Jude!  One of those moments when you see them so wildly intensely happy and think that yes, it was the right time to gently compromise an old ideal.  :)

12 comments:

  1. I had Tiny Tears as a girl and I LOVED her so much. A naughty boy neighbor threw her over the garden fence and her arm came off so my parents sent her back to the manufacturer and they fixed her and put on a new dress, but did not wash the pen mark off her leg :) I really cant see the harm, although I understand the effort it takes to rid a household of plastic and so it is a compromise.
    Jenna looks like many new Mama's I have seen. I hope she has as many happy hours, days or years as I did with my beloved doll.
    V
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had Tiny Tears too. I never got over that my parents took my first one back to the store for a replacement because it didn't work. I wailed all the way there and the new doll was never the same. My parents argued that it was "just" a doll. She was my baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those pictures. What a little mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had (and still do have) a Zapf collection doll called Joanne. I gave her many christenings, and like you she slept in my bed till some time in my secondary school years. I loved her like a baby and WILL NEVER part with her. Jenna looks so very in love with her baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that so much. :) we used to be able to keep playing with dolls much longer back in the day. it’s a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, Jenna looks so very happily in love with her baby, good choice mama :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenna looks so in love in the photos. Good choice mama :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw she looks so in love! That's a really nice looking plastic doll to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he looks more like a baby than a doll. The eyes freak me out slightly when I'm left "babysitting" too long!

      Delete
  9. Wow, you have your own little Jude in your family! Jenna looks blissful. Is it a reborn doll? It's *so* realistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a boy Jude, rather a realistic boy doll too! He came from ELC, believe it or not. :)

      Delete
  10. Jenna looks soooo happy :-)
    Hannah loves her dolls, plays with them all the time and asked for a pram for her 8th birthday this year! There's so much time to be grown up later, I love that my 8 year old is still an 8 year old! I still have one of my dolls and i'm 45 ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts? :)