Our advent activity on Tuesday was making gingerbread. Actually, I moved the cards around because Rowan had asked me twice yesterday if we could make gingerbread and I'd said, "maybe later". Anyhow, she was REALLY excited that we were actually doing it, right until I discovered the gas wouldn't light. Here's how the rest of the morning went:
- Get everyone dressed in outdoor clothes to go and top up the meter at the shops.
- Discover that the baby's coat is missing.
- Wrap the baby up warmly under my jacket and set off.
- Return to the house for my wallet.
- Get gas from the shop, and walk home.
- Go to the meter, and find that it wasn't out of gas in the first place.
- Work out why the gas wouldn't light; child had pressed the cut-off switch at the back of the surface.
- Start mixing ingredients.
- Find that there is no ginger in the house.
- Make ginger-less gingerbread.
- Burn the first batch by getting distracted arguing over whose turn it is on the computer...
They tasted nice, anyway...